APSN has been alerted to an incident which allegedly took place at the Giant IMM outlet on the evening of 28th April 2018 (Saturday), involving a family and a APSN Centre for Adults (CFA) Trainee. The Trainee is diagnosed with Mild Intellectual Disability (MID).
Based on the preliminary information available to APSN, we are of the preliminary view that the alleged incident was a misunderstanding between the relevant parties involved.
The trainee and his family would like to share their sequence of events as follows:
- At about 5.52 pm on 28 April 2018 at the Giant IMM Outlet, the Trainee approached a shouting child to inform him that he should lower his volume.
- As the child was allegedly running around the store without supervision, the Trainee decided to carry him with the intention of helping him find his parents as he was afraid that the child might get lost in the store.
- In the process of returning the child to his parents, an altercation purportedly ensued.
- Police officers responded to the incident and took the parties’ statements at the Giant IMM Outlet.
- The trainee was subsequently released on-site at 7.15pm.
- After the incident, the Trainee assisted with police investigations on 28 and 29 April 2018.
- CCTV footage of the incident has been retrieved and handed to the Police for further investigation.
- The Police are currently investigating the incident.
In light of the ongoing police investigations, APSN will be refraining from further public commentary so as not to prejudice the investigative process and we urge the public to refrain from unnecessary speculation. APSN would like to reassure members of the public that we are working closely with the trainee and his family, the Police and all relevant authorities towards the resolution of this matter.